Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Reflections for session last night

Wenwei asked us to write this.. So here it goes.

We started on time.. 745 we sat around.. Bee Lan suggestted that we sing a song. We did. I started the session by an opening prayer.

The session was broken down into 2 parts, verse 1 to 10, then 11 to the end. We begin by reading, and running thru the questions. We talked about our future body, our confidence, our attitute, living by faith, setting our eyes on the eternal. Alicia and Yin Ting shared about their struggles with knowing the truth and doing them.. (primarily to their studies). Bee Lan shared a story on how we can shine for Jesus with what we do.. I allowed time for thinking before moving on. We took 45 mins for this section. Till this point, felt that the session was very Word focus, less personal.

We moved on by reading the rest of the text. We talked about viewing people from a worldly point of view, being a new creation, living for God and not for ourselves, being an ambassador for Christ. We had a lot details. Sensed that it meant different thing to different ones about being a new creation, like its a process, being a new creation with old habits.. We talked about My Hope Singapore over dinner. Everyone signed up other than Daniel. He is involved in the Kaleo reaping event on 6th December. I left it as it was.

We shared 1 take home for us from the session. Some were personal.. Some were rather brief.. I wasn't very sure how to approach Terence because he was the 1st to share. He left it brief. I didn't think it was wise to ask further. We moved on. Yin Ting shared her struggles with school and she has no answers. I didn't know the answer.. So we moved on again. Time was 935 then. We shared the simple questionaire.. Asking them to complete by next week and work it towards their TIAP. I prayed for the group.. Talking about the details of what was shared. The session officially ended at 945. Some lingered around.. To share about the week.. The girls 1 group... Daniel, Alicia and I in another. Terence left shortly after that.

I noticed that I rather like silence. I took time and gave time for everyone to think about what was shared instead of rushing from point to point. I took special note not just to drive good points for them, but to ground our studies in the Word. I didn't ask them to recommit their lives as planned because I felt we all needed more time to think, instead of rushing into makin a commitment we can't keep. The guys were very nice once again.. Sharing whenever they could. I found it hard to reflect much during the session itself as I needed to remember what they said.. Therefore preparation was very important I can look prepared when I'm not leading because I have time to think about my thoughts while others are sharing, not so when I'm leading. It was also hard to listen.. Cause I have a direction that I wanna drive the group to.. When its different, it becomes challenging, gotta decide whether I wanna press on or to talk about what was being raised. In the session last night, they were focusing more on being an ambassador by sharing his word but I thought being a new creation means living our lives for him. (v15)

Either way, I felt that it was a good session where our focus was on the Word rather than just what we feel. We struggle with many things, they are real, we don't know what to do, but God said we have a place waiting for us. Therefore live by faith.. Live for Him.. It is clear.. Do we know what to do? I don't.. But we know we can count on Jesus to work things for us. This is the basis of what I did last evening.

// I just needed to trust God to work in the lives of everyone. He worked in mine. So will He worked in the rest of their lives. Do what I am called to do, God will handle the rest.

No comments: